The Australian Super Rugby Selection has been confirmed by coach John Manenti, ahead of Friday night’s Qantas Wallabies trial at Leichhardt Oval in Sydney with Brumbies Blake Enever starting at lock and prop Mees Erasmus on the bench.
Test veteran James Slipper will mark his return to rugby against some familiar faces while Melbourne Rebels skipper Tom English will lead again on Friday night, in what’s set to be a Bledisloe Cup tune-up.
Four capped Wallabies (Slipper, Enever, Philip and Hardwick) will line-up against Michael Cheika’s side while several have featured in national squads over the last two seasons. Flyhalf Andrew Deegan and flanker Tevin Ferris will represent the Western Force at Leichhardt Oval, with the game free to attend at the family friendly kick-off time of 6.45pm.
Head Coach John Manenti said: “We’ll have some fun this week but make no mistake, we will prepare as best we can to give Cheik’s side a real shake on Friday night.
“I know how important this game could prove to be ahead of the Bledisloe Cup so we need to play with real accuracy and plenty of intensity straight from the kickoff. I have to thank the Super Rugby coaches and Club Rugby coaches across Australia for being so accommodating in letting us borrow their players for what’s set to be a special night in Sydney.
“James’ (Slipper) enthusiasm has really impressed me since we invited him to join. He’s keen to be back out there and training hard but also really wants to get his old Wallabies teammates firing ahead of that first Bledisloe,” Manenti said.
Friday night’s clash will also be live and free to all Australians, as well as Wallabies fans around the world, with the game to be streamed on RUGBY.com.au.
The hill at Leichhardt Oval will be the go-to vantage point for kids with plenty of activities and entertainment, while there will be the opportunity following full-time to snap a selfie with the players.
Tickets are on sale now for the 2018 Bledisloe Cup in Sydney as well as Mitsubishi Estate Rugby Championship Test matches in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. For tickets, visit ticketek.com.au.
Australian Super Rugby Selection for Qantas Wallabies trial at Leichhardt Oval, Sydney, Friday 3 August, 6.45pm AEST
1. James Slipper (Bond University/Queensland Reds)
2. Anaru Rangi (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
3. Sam Talakai (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels)
4. Blake Enever (Easts/Brumbies)
5. Matt Philip (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
6. Angus Cottrell (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
7. Richard Hardwick (Harlequins/Melbourne Rebels)
8. Pat Sio (Eastwood)
9. Moses Sorovi (Wests/Queensland Reds)
10. Andrew Deegan (Wanneroo/Western Force)
11. Filipo Daugunu (Wests/Queensland Reds)
12. Duncan Paia’aua (Norths/Queensland Reds)
13. Tom English – captain (Melbourne Unicorns/Melbourne Rebels)
14. Pama Fou (Eastwood)
15. Semisi Tupou (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels)
16. Hugh Roach (Eastwood/NSW Waratahs)
17. Fereti Sa’aga (Melbourne University/Melbourne Rebels)
18. Mees Erasmus (Easts/Brumbies)
19. Angus Blyth (Bond University/Queensland Reds)
20. Tevin Ferris (Nedlands/Western Force)
21. Mick Snowden (Eastwood)
22. Sam Lane (Manly)
23. Fabian Goodall (Eastwood)
FULL STORY: https://www.brumbies.com.au/2018/07/enever-and-erasmus-selected-for-super-rugby-wallabies-trial/